Whether you are hiking through Colorado’s wilderness, exploring Alaska’s icy glaciers, or discovering South America’s ancient rainforests, choosing the right pair of hiking boots can make all the difference to your outdoor adventure. Moreover, there is a wide range of hiking boots available for all – men, women, and kids.
What To Look For When Purchasing Hiking Boots Which Last Long?
Are your pairs looking a bit ragged? Are you wondering how long before you should invest in a new pair of hiking boots? Then the key features surround boot longevity and help you calculate how long your boots have left. Typically, hiking boots last between 500 to 900 miles depending on the quality of the footwear, how much they have been used and the terrain they were used on. For lightweight trail runners expect them to last around 500 miles and for hard-wearing boots expect to last them double that.
It is better to buy a quality pair of boots that are expensive yet last twice as long as it is to keep buying multiple pairs of substandard footwear. Moreover, the top tip for finding a pair for longevity is to choose the ones with PU – a versatile material that offers good resistance to abrasion and is lightweight. Making the right choices always depends on what you want your boots for. Low-cut, lightweight shoes are good for many activities like speed hiking, approaches, and easy day hiking. However, when carrying a heavy load on you in rough and uneven terrains, it would be best to wear something that offers more support such as mid-cut or high-cut.
How Can You Make Sure Your Hiking Boots Last Longer?
- Spray with a waterproofing spray to increase resistance to water before using the boots
- Keep reapplying waterproofing treatments to keep them in tip-top condition
- Leather footwear needs regular conditioning to avoid splitting or cracking
- Choose half size bigger from your normal size if you have narrow feet
- After hiking, clean them by removing laces and footbeds to get into the tight spaces
- Use a soft brush and a bowl of warm water to brush off mud and grime
- Fill the inside with lukewarm water, leave them overnight, drain and leave them to dry
- Store hiking boots in clean, dry places without any humidity or moisture around
- Check to see if there are any insects inside before putting your feet into the boots
- Wear thermals or Merino wool socks for extra layers of protection in extreme conditions
- Gaiters could give you extra water protection and can keep most of the water, snow, and trail debris from entering the top
- Always remove the insoles after every trip to aid faster drying, recovering, and uncompressing of materials
- Clean trek not only eliminates odors but stops new orders from growing
- Moisturize the leather using some leather balm after every use
- Dry them correctly by using a boot dryer rather than leaving them outside to dry
- Make a boot tree or buy one online – for proper organization and maintain the shape
- Keep an eye on the stitching as they will most likely fail at the seams
- Keep an eye on the heels as they take a ton of mistreatment on the trail
- Be careful, cautious, gentle, and watch how you remove your hiking boots
- Buy higher quality even if they are expensive and do not seem money worthy
- Wear them just for hiking and nothing else for a good lifespan
Top 5 Longest Lasting Hiking Boots
Following are a few of the top longest-lasting hiking boots available to purchase online:
1) Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots
Merrell’s Moab 2 Mid WP is available for everyone – Men, Women, and Kids. These waterproof hiking boots are one of the best-selling and longest-lasting footwear with great features.
- For backpacking on a day trip through a tropical rainforest or high altitude trekking
- Conforms to the shape of your foot and protect them in rough outdoor conditions
- The Gore-Tex antibacterial lining is breathable and waterproof
- A removable EVA contoured footbed and a molded nylon arch shank for high arches
- A thick rubber toe cap protects from sharp and blunt objects
- The thick Vibram outsole has multi-directional lugs giving you top-notch traction
- Stylish as well as functional, available in a wide range of fashionable colors
- Excellent protection, comfort, and support, Ideal for low to medium-level hiking
- Lightweight, Waterproof, Antibacterial, Very good support for high arches
- Very good traction, Fashion colors, Very good fit
- Could be pricey for some, and thick rubber on the sole and toe can make the boot stiff
Where to purchase the Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots?
You can purchase the Merrell Moab 2 Mid Waterproof Hiking Boots on Amazon here.
2) Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid Gore-Tex
Salomon Men’s X Ultra 4 Mid GTX and Salomon Women’s X Ultra 4 Mid GTX hiking boots are also available in non-waterproof features. If comfort is your game, then Salomon’s X Ultra 4 Mid GTX model is for you. They are flexible, feel great right out of the box, and are exceptionally lightweight. A great choice for backpackers, and overall made for anyone who wants a lightweight hiking boot that is comfy enough for long distances.
- Backed up by waterproof/breathable GORE-TEX protection
- Provides a safe, comfy, and virtually customized fit around your feet
- Active Support “mobile wings” helps you hold your feet in place
- Accompanies feet movement, adapting to their shape and volume
- Optimizes stability while simultaneously keeping the fronts of the shoes flexible
- Contagrip MA outsoles grab the terrains, giving you more control
- Durable outsoles handle a wide variety of surfaces
- Provides out-of-the-box comfort, and overall lightweight
- Supportive soles, durable boots, fit securely on most feet
- Less ankle support than some other boots
Where to purchase the Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid Gore-Tex?
You can purchase the Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid Gore-Tex on Amazon here.
3) La Sportiva Spire GTX
La Sportiva Spire GTX Hiking Shoes are available for both Men and Women. This model is a low-cut mid-duty waterproof hiker/backpacking boot. Featuring 360-degree breathability from the Gore-Tex Surround Technology, La Sportiva Spire GTX also has an innovative STB control system.
- For hikers who want light-duty hiking boots for day trips on rugged terrain
- For backpackers seeking versatile and waterproof boots that breathes well and supports lighter loads
- Durable abrasion-resistant mesh upper protects while Nano Cell 2.0 structure provides maximum breathability
- Vibram XS Trek that provides traction and grip with impact brake system sole
- Superbly waterproof, Well-ventilated in-shoe feel, Apt midsole stiffness
- Comfortable, good ankle support, incredible traction
- Flimsy on technical terrain, Fragile lace sheath, Expensive for some
Where to purchase the La Sportiva Spire GTX?
You can purchase the La Sportiva Spire GTX on Amazon here.
4) Hoka One One Anacapa Mid GTX
Hoka One One Anacapa Mid GTX has hiking boots models for both Women and Men. Moreover, these boots are great if you have achy feet and are looking for a tremendous amount of underfoot support. Hoka One One managed to create a hiking boot that promotes movement, secures footing, and shields mightily in bad weather all at the same time.
- Gore-Tex uppers with lightweight nubuck leather that seals out wet weather
- PFC-free durable water repellent (DWR) treatment for moisture on the surface
- Quick-lace hook hardware made to secure your feet fast
- Gusseted tongues help mitigate trail debris
- Achilles-cradling pull tabs offer easy on/off
- Molded PolyUrethane sock liners derived from 50% soybean oil offer comfort
- Recycled polyester in the collar, laces, and mesh
- Stable and steady footing over rocky and uneven terrain
- Plush, comfortable, generously cushy midsole
- Light, despite the rather bulky sole, balanced between weight and the on-trail performance
- Watertight keeps everything on the inside dry through wet grass, creeks, and even snow
- An underwhelming toe cap, which could be more protective
- Tricky access, getting in the boot can be challenging, issue to the dipped design of the shoe’s Achilles heel
Where to purchase the Hoka One One Anacapa Mid GTX?
You can purchase the Hoka One One Anacapa Mid GTX on REI here.
5) Nortiv 8 Leather Waterproof Hiking Boots
Nortiv 8 Leather WP Hiking Boots deliver all-day comfort while removable and shock-absorbent cushioned insoles offer the best support for your feet. Nortiv 8 main aim is to provide high-quality outdoor shoes.
- Shock absorbing midsole for any surfaces, such as gravel, mud, sand, etc.
- Protect your ankles and feet from rubbing with a padded tongue and collar
- 6mm Flexible Insole, Suitable for Any Outdoor Occasions
- 5mm-deep wide-spaced lugs deliver slip-resistance and shed mud more easily
- Rubber Covered Top Cap for Anti-collision properties
- Durable Braided Shoelaces, Soft Premium Leather Upper and Water-resistant Design
- Ideal for winter conditions, High-quality construction, Very good waterproof ability
- Durable, Warm, Good cushioning and traction, Very comfortable, Four stylish colors
- Could be on the narrower side for some feet
Where to purchase the Nortiv 8 Leather Waterproof Hiking Boots?
You can purchase the Nortiv 8 Leather Waterproof Hiking Boots on Amazon here.
In short, buying a pair for durability and longevity usually involves going a bit higher and spending more money. Sometimes, you may be willing to keep changing boots to get new ones as soon as the ones you have tears and breaks. However, if you are a hardcore hiker who regularly goes for outdoor activities then investing in heavyweight boots may be the only option.
Also, maintaining and keeping the boots in good shape by following the mentioned tips is vital. Some manufacturers make boots specifically to last longer whereas some other manufacturers focus on fashion or one-day light hikes. Do your research and buy the ones that are not only lasting but fit you perfectly for a great day or days of trekking on hills and mountains.